Visual impairment can be very overwhelming and cause individuals to develop a sense of hopelessness. Vision rehabilitation services are intended to improve a patient’s quality of life by maximizing their remaining functional vision and allow patients to maintain a sense of independence in activities of daily living.
Call us today at (323) 442-6335 to schedule a vision rehabilitation consultation!
What is Low Vision?
- Low vision is comprised of decreased visual acuity, contrast sensitivity, and/or visual field which creates an impingement on an individual’s ability to effectively and independently carry out activities of daily living such as cooking, cleaning, reading the newspaper or watching television.
- People who suffer from low vision are no longer correctable with standard glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery
- 1 in 28 Americans over the age of 40 suffer from Low Vision, according to the National Federation of the Blind
- Low vision can exist in many forms and to varying degrees, traditionally it is best corrected visual acuity of 20/70 or worse in the better seeing eye
Who Can Benefit?
- Moderate to Advanced Stage Glaucoma
- Intermediate/Advanced Dry and Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Macular Edema secondary to Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinitis Pigmentosa or Stargardt’s Disease
- Stroke patients with residual visual field defects
- Ocular Surface Diseases
- Vision Loss from Injury
What Does a Low Vision Evaluation Consist Of?
Each low vision evaluation is customized to each patients’ unique lifestyle. Here are the general components:
- Determination of distance, intermediate and near goals
- Determination of difficulties in activities of daily life
- Functional vision evaluation
- Distance and near visual acuity
- Visual field assessment
- Trial Frame Refraction
- Assessment for distance and near magnification
- Tint and filter assessment
- Address need for mobility aids and other services
What Vision Rehabilitation Treatments and Devices are Available?
- Hand held and pocket magnifiers
- Stand magnifiers
- Monocular and Binocular Telescopes
- Portable Electronic Magnifiers
- Applications for Smart Phones and Tablets
- Solar shields/Fit overs
- Lighting recommendations
- Rehabilitation treatment plans
Call us today at (323) 442-6335 to schedule a vision rehabilitation consultation.