Exceptional Surgical Care
At Keck Medicine of USC, we provide a patient-centered surgical experience. Our dedicated care team is here to guide you every step of the way through our enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) program.
Through active participation in the ERAS program, patients have less pain, fewer complications, shorter hospital stays and an overall positive surgical experience. Ultimately, the ERAS protocol helps you take control of your surgical recovery.
Our Approach to Advanced Care
We strive to keep our patients educated and engaged in their care plan. Throughout your surgery process, we provide a variety of resources to support the best possible outcomes for surgery preparation and recovery.
Step One: Preparing for a Successful Surgery
It is never too early to start preparing for a successful surgery. Our care team is here to help you physically and mentally prepare for surgery. We recommend the following steps to help you stay healthy and minimize any stress leading up to your surgery:
- Stay active until surgery day.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Stop smoking and avoid drinking alcohol.
- Consider developing an at-home care plan with family and friends who can help during your recovery.
In the weeks leading up to surgery, be sure to visit our clinic to complete all your required tests. During your visits, we will also provide you with a care kit filled with helpful resources about preparing for surgery.
Step Two: 24 Hours Before Surgery
It’s important that you are relaxed and prepared the day before surgery. To ensure that your surgery can take place as scheduled, follow all steps outlined by your care team. This often includes:
- Not eating any solid foods after midnight, the night before your surgery
- Drinking a presurgery drink up to 3 hours before your procedure. You can also drink clear liquids during this time (water, apple juice, black coffee and tea). Do not drink anything creamy or milky — this could cancel your surgery.
Step Three: Comfort During Surgery
Our experienced care team will make sure you have the highest level of patient comfort before and during your surgery.
- Once you are in the operating room, we will numb the area to reduce your pain. Then we will begin your surgery using the smallest incision possible.
- During your surgery, we will keep you warm and give you IV fluids as needed.
Step Four: Heal Fast and Recover Quickly
When surgery is over, your care team will help you transition toward recovery in a variety of ways. The ERAS protocol includes:
- Using fewer tubes that are taken out earlier
- Providing mild drugs to manage your pain and keep you comfortable
- Assisting you in walking and eating soon after your surgery
- Teaching you breathing exercises to keep your lungs healthy
- Sending you home with a step-by-step care guide to help you heal fast and recover quickly
Do you want to learn more about what to expect when you participate in our ERAS program?
Helping You Get Better, Faster
Keck Medicine is proud to provide advanced care options, like the ERAS program, to support the best possible outcomes for our patients. Our world-class care team follows the ERAS protocol for a wide array of elective surgeries to create a positive surgical experience and a faster recovery for you.
Learn more about the surgical specialties that leverage the benefits of the ERAS program.